Orthogonal brings digital best practices to the internet of medical things. We work with leading medical device, consumer and software companies to build products that integrate devices, sensors, mobile and cloud computing, and we use design thinking and lean processes to increase safety while innovating at speed.
About the role
Principal Software Engineer
Location: Chicago, IL
Who are we looking for?
Orthogonal is seeking a candidate for a Principal Software Engineer. As a Principal Software Engineer, you’ll apply cutting-edge techniques and technologies, build great products, develop reusable platforms and grow great teams.You’ll be a key technology leader at Orthogonal and intimately involved in almost every aspect of the lifecycle of a project from project inception, engineering design, implementation to final product handoff and delivery. You’re comfortable in a client facing role, being a technology leader as well as a team leader and mentor to junior members of your team.
What will you do as a Principal Software Engineer?
- Given a vision for a product by the client, extract technical requirements that need to be addressed by a software and hardware solution
- Convert requirements into an architecture and design that will become the blueprint for the solution being created, and that supports a specific set of features
- Provide leadership in identifying, analyzing and responding to project risk
- Develop presentations, overviews and documentation that communicates the design to both the client and technical team members
- Promote agile practices in all aspects of development
- Assist in taking the design and converting it to raw epics that can be expanded upon and groomed into specific user stories utilized by the UX and development teams
- Lead development efforts
Who will you work with?
For inception and elaboration, you will be on the customer facing leadership team with the Product Manager, UX Architect, Director of User Experience and Director of Systems Quality Engineering. During the course of the project you will manage the architectural and system understanding of the engineering and testing staff.
What kind of technical background will you need?
- Experience with native mobile applications development: iOS Swift and/or Objective C, Android Java. This would have been in a agile team environment using a software repository system like github and a continuous integration environment such as Greenhouse or Travis CI.
- A working understanding of networking and communication protocols such as Bluetooth, BLE, Wi-Fi, Ethernet and TCP/IP.
- Knowledgeable in server technologies such as: .net framework, C#, Java, Ruby on Rails, Python, C, C++, databases, Linux, MS Server, etc.
- Up-to-date on developments in Cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure or Google Cloud.
Are there any other requirements I should know about?
- You live and breathe agile
- You have a solid background in client facing positions such as consulting or pre-sales.
- Ideally you’ve done medical device software development under an ISO 13485 Quality Management System in the past as well as experience with HIPAA
What will you learn, and how will you grow?
You’ll be at the center of digital health and the new way of developing medical software. You’ll develop a deep understanding of the connected care landscape within the regulatory environment, including wearable sensors, wireless connectivity, mobile technologies and cloud computing. You’ll be able to apply cutting-edge techniques and technologies, build great products and great teams.This position offers a competitive salary, great benefits and an opportunity to develop new skills and help establish new standards in the burgeoning world of medical devices and in the design and development for connected care systems.At the end of the day, the products you help develop will make someones life better.
What about work life balance?
The position is located in Chicago and offers the opportunity to work from home 2 to 3 days per week.