About the role
Location: Chicago, IL
Reports to: Senior Research Manager and CEO
Start Date: October 1st, 2020
CareBand is seeking a Research Manager to work on structured pilot and research studies, to explore and evaluate health outcomes from the use of innovative technological interventions, and participate as an active member in a multidisciplinary team dedicated to keeping people safe and healthy. The projects rigorously evaluate the CareBand device and data platform for the senior living and at-home markets. The position offers the opportunity to work with an emerging healthcare startup, leading medical directors, and renowned researchers collaborating on our research projects.The role also offers several opportunities to gain technical expertise, write research publications, and focus on personal development.
- Contributes to study design and coordinates implementation of research studies with program partners; manages subject selection and randomization process; travels to program sites to monitor and assess implementation
- Conducts and manages the data analysis process to ensure proper data collection to evaluate program progress and feasibility
- Oversees IRB procedures and maintains confidentiality of participant information; ensures compliance with institutional, state and federal regulatory policies, procedures, directives and mandates
- Consults with CareBand’s research advisor on development of research grant proposals and applications, IRB protocols, and other research documents
- Builds and maintains strong relationship with research partners and all participating partner organizations, non-profits, and other community groups
- Works with PI and Grants Manager to develop budgets and coordinate all aspects of grant submission to federal agencies, private/public foundations, other funding agencies; manages progress reports, performance, or financial reporting as required by the granting agency; monitors anticipated and actual costs charged to project budgets, regularly communicates these to Grants Manager, to identify and prevent potential overruns.
- Develops and disseminates necessary project materials to research team and partner agencies
- Generates tables, diagrams and graphs for academic papers, reports and presentations; writes, proofreads and fact-checks academic papers, reports and presentations.
- Manages class projects conducted by students (e.g. undergraduate and MBA), facilitating calls with them to guide progress and answer company-related questions
- Collaborates closely with other CareBand employees on joint tasks (Business Strategy, Software/Hardware, Marketing); provides CareBand Research updates at team meetings
- Previous experience working in a research lab, organization or managing research projects required.
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, sociology, healthcare, basic sciences or closely related field required
- Strong project management skills with exceptional attention to detail required.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment required.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive relationships with various stakeholders required.
- Strong time management skills with a proven ability to multitask and to prioritize activities to successfully complete projects on tight deadlines with little supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present data in a simple straightforward way for non-technical, layperson audiences required.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgement required.
- Knowledge and understanding of senior care and senior living strongly preferred
- Experience with data analysis and statistical programs/software (e.g. PowerBI, SPSS, SQL) preferred.
Subset of Ongoing Projects
- Feasibility and usability NIH-funded SBIR study in Indiana-based memory care facility exploring the relationship between CareBand data and agitation neuropsychiatric symptom presentation.
- R21 study working with medical anthropology researchers to investigate lifespace among older adults in rural and remote communities in Minnesota and Indigenous communities on a Canadian island.
- Study in collaboration with Toronto-based researchers conducted in four in-patient dementia care and long term care units in Canada. Aimed at constructing clinically validated indices that can help inform clinical care, based upon CareBand data (e.g.social engagement and time near exit)
CareBand is looking for passionate people who have a strong interest in helping others. Our company started with the intent of bringing innovative, modern technology to older adults living with dementia to lead safer lives. Started about four years ago, we have developed, tested, and validated the product with customers and are now looking to hire someone with a strong research background to further CareBand’s goals and mission.
Interested? Submit a resume/CV and a cover letter briefly summarizing your interest in the position to email@example.com and CC firstname.lastname@example.org