SwipeSense is building an operating system for the hospital of the future, today. Our mission is to eliminate Hospital Acquired Infections, a leading cause of death in the United States, through several products built on top of our connected hospital platform - a combination of sensor networks, wearable technologies, and big data insights. Our platform saves a life every two days, but we’re just getting started. If you want to solve problems big and small, experiment relentlessly, and execute ruthlessly to help us save a life a day: welcome.
SwipeSense is a high-growth venture backed company headquartered in Chicago, IL.
About the role
Senior Software Engineer
WHO WE NEED:
SwipeSense builds and manages large-scale distributed IoT hardware networks that produce massive amounts of real-time sensor data. We’re looking for software engineers that have architected, worked in, or excited to experience large scale, high volume, big data systems. We process billions of data points and terabytes of data today and are scaling to petabyte-scale workloads very soon.
At SwipeSense, we use the right tools for the job – and with a system at this scale, we live on the cutting edge of technologies, always questioning and rebuilding core components of our platform to meet the scaling demands of the future. As a member of this team, your will be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining these systems. We’re looking for people with strong opinions around what you’re building and how it’s being built.
You’ll be responsible for helping to architect our platform, from redesigning our data pipelines to evolving our algorithms to scaling our web services. You’ll be working in our SwipeSense cloud (AWS) stack and helping collect, process, and analyze streaming sensor data and expose those results to various internal and external consumers in real-time.
This role has wide breadth, and will tackle a variety of technologies and concepts – from messaging systems in Kinesis to processing steps in Lambdas to ETL systems in SQL to Python Algorithms to Services in Go to Ruby / Rails APIs to React Client Apps.
- Share in the evolution and design of the data ingest platform by sharing, prototyping, and building new technologies to optimize or completely replace existing platform components.
- Assist with algorithm development to transform real-time IOT sensor data into customer insights.
- Develop and maintain portions of the Ruby on Rails API along with its various background processing tasks and job queues.
- Develop scalable technical solutions that respond well to high-concurrency workloads.
- Develop in React on the frontend to display real-time data in an elegant fashion through an intuitive SPA.
- Provide thorough regression tests and alerting procedures to provide resiliency to new features.
- Optimize existing code to lower object allocations and improve throughput.
- Minimum 6+ years of related full-time experience.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Experience with writing performant, optimized code for large scale applications (N+1 queries should give you conniptions)
- Experience with big data systems and real-time stream processing
- Experience in environments with multiple teams and distributed systems
- Experience with MVC frameworks and an understanding of RESTful APIs.
- A focus on consistent code style, full-coverage testing, team coding conventions, and separation of concerns.
- Experience working in an agile development environment.
- Comfort in developing in a terminal-heavy Linux/Mac environment.
- Excellent communication skills - plays well with others, ping pong skills optional.
NICE TO HAVE:
- Familiarity with AWS as a platform along with its various services.
- Experience contributing to shared devops concerns such as CI servers, and automated deployment.
- Familiarity with the Hadoop ecosystem and related tools.
- Familiarity with container-based infrastructure with Docker.
- Contributions to open-source projects.
- Experience with data visualization and analytics.
Please note: position is full-time, at our Chicago headquarters. Must be local or willing to relocate. SwipeSense offers competitive compensation, stock options and excellent medical and dental benefits. M/F/D/V
Interested? Click here now to start the application process.