February 1, 2019
About Human Practice
Human Practice is an investor-backed, leading-edge digital health startup in Chicago. We serve the most prestigious hospital systems in the country. Our mission is to connect patients needing highly specialized care to these hospital systems’ expert physicians.
We are a small, flat company, allergic to titles and hierarchy, founded by a software developer and a physician. We have a strong orientation as a company to understanding and advocating for our users. We want that understanding to guide every aspect of our product and services, and expect everyone on the team to participate in user research.
The interesting challenge we solve
Today’s referral process puts a great burden on patients, who may already be experiencing extreme stress due to their diagnosis. The referral process also leaves physicians disconnected, making it difficult to collaborate effectively on their patients’ care.
Our solution orchestrates a connected experience for patients/physicians/staff, broadens physicians’ existing professional networks, and requires minimal interaction for ease of use. Our execution on this unique approach explains our success to date in the market.
About the role
Our team is looking for user researchers to help us deeply understand our users’ goals, context and experience with our service.
We’re scaling up our team
Over the next twelve months, we are hiring two UX researchers as part of an extraordinary effort to build up our product team. You will start embedded within our client implementation team to conduct user research through our work with end users. Successful candidates will have a keen sense for gathering authentic insights, experience with planning and executing research in challenging environments, and able to demonstrate strong team facilitation and communication skills.
We want people who are:
- Self-starters. We’re working in a fast-paced startup environment with a small but quickly growing team. We need people who are excited to charge forward with limited direction and oversight.
- Collaborative and multi-disciplinary. Our team is composed of multi-skilled developers, designers, salespeople, client success specialists and physicians. We need folks who are open to cross-disciplinary collaboration and are thoughtful and open in facilitating conversations and critiques and responding to feedback.
- People-centered. We put the value and usability of our product above all and are invested in ensuring a seamless, delightful user experience through iterative testing and development.
- Driven to make an impact in healthcare. This is not just another job. We motivated each day by the potential to improve people’s lives through access to better health care and stronger, more meaningful working relationships between physician colleagues.
- Research design and planning. Frame research goals, design diverse and appropriate primary user research programs, and plan effective research collection by the team.
- Prototype development. Create visual representations and basic prototypes of new concept features and interactions for testing.
- Facilitative research execution. Work with the team to recruit/encounter participants and to conduct user research in challenging environments (on physician office visits, tech support calls). Coach team members on effective human-centered design research techniques.
- Insight communication. Work closely with the team to synthesize research insights. Help everyone become an advocate for our users. Design and create communication frameworks to ensure design decisions about the future of our platform are well considered and well informed by the user experience.
- 2-3 years experience in user research role at a tech company (extra points if healthcare related)
- Demonstrated ability to plan research, conduct interviews, gather primary observations, analyze secondary research, and synthesize and communicate findings
- Experience and skill with prototyping tools and techniques
- A thoughtful portfolio that demonstrates excellent command of research and communication frameworks
How does someone apply?
Please send your resume and a pdf or link to your research portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.